To qualify as an eligible nonprofit organisation:
- Organisations must be nonprofit or non-governmental organisations with recognised charitable status in their respective location: England and Wales, registered with the UK Charity Commission and/or registered with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) as tax exempt; Scotland, registered with the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR) and/or registered with HM Revenue & Customs as tax exempt; or Northern Ireland, registered with the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland (CCNI) and/or registered with HM Revenue & Customs as tax exempt.
- Public libraries may qualify as an eligible nonprofit organization without charitable status only for on-premises software donations and only where such software is made accessible to the general public. Please visit the Microsoft Volume Licensing website for more information about licensing programs for public library operations.
In addition to the criteria above, eligible organizations must also operate on a not-for-profit basis and have a mission to benefit the local community that could include, but is not limited to:
- Providing relief to the poor
- Advancing education
- Improving social welfare
- Preserving culture
- Preserving or restoring the environment
- Promoting human rights
- Establishment of civil society